The Verona Area School District is committed to not only seeking input and ideas from parents and community members but also invite you to volunteer for the many great things that are happening in our schools every day! Your involvement is needed for us to continue providing a high-quality school experience.
Some volunteer positions require a background check for the safety of our students and staff (any volunteer position where a volunteer may be alone and unsupervised with a student). Your school office will assist you in this online process if needed (this is per school district board policy 533.1).
Complete a VASD Volunteer Background Check
Listed below are regularly scheduled events and several other ways that parents and community members to get involved with the schools. We welcome you to attend these events and participate in the schools where you can.
How can you volunteer at your school?
Below are a few suggestions on ways to become involved:
- PTOs: They plan many events such as: Book Fairs, Open Houses, Movie Nights, Science Fairs, Staff Breakfasts, and fund educational activities and clubs, all of which help to make your school a GREAT place!
- Classroom Assistants: Field trip support or "room parents" helping with a variety of support on any given day
- Library Assistants (sorting books or shelving, laminating projects)
- Serving on a school-specific committee such as:
- School's continuous improvement team
- Personalized learning team
- Task-specific volunteers to help with things such as:
- Book or science fairs
- Art shows
- School decorating
- Math coaching
- Reading books out loud to classes
- Leading study groups with students
- Lunchroom assistant (teaching little one's routines in the lunchroom)
- Fundraisers (such as concession stands)
- Assisting students at Natatorium (locker room dressing, etc.)
- Serving as a guest speaker on career days or other events
- Administrative/clerical support in the office (stuffing mailings, answering phones, etc.)
Contact your school for the options they offer!
How can you volunteer at the district level?
- Serving on the District's School Board of Education
- School Board Committees – In the past, the Board has developed committees to assist Board members in making decisions surrounding topics such as future schools, the school calendar, or the district’s transgender plan. There may also be other ad hoc committees that develop at various times of the year. Current committees are listed on the Board page of the website.
- Serving as a Literacy Volunteer
Literacy volunteers assist students by volunteering their time to work one-on-one with students in grades K-5 who are struggling with literacy. The time commitment can be as little as 30 minutes per week, but opportunities are available for volunteers willing and able to commit to more time. No previous tutoring experience is required as training will be provided. Literacy volunteers form meaningful relationships with the students they assist and really make a difference in the lives of the children they work with. All meetings take place during regular school day hours and are facilitated by the classroom teacher and volunteer coordinator. Volunteers are needed at Stoner Prairie Elementary, Sugar Creek Elementary, Country View Elementary, Glacier Edge Elementary, New Century School, Core Knowledge Charter School, and Verona Area International School. Spanish-speaking volunteers are in high demand!
Need more information? Contact Gretchen Zimmerman