Open Enrollment/Tuition Waiver

2021-22 Open Enrollment Information

Public School Open Enrollment allows parents to apply for their children to attend public school in a school district other than the one in which they reside. The regular open enrollment application period for the 2021-22 school year is February 1 – April 30, 2021Information regarding open enrollment, including the online application and other forms, can be found on the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) website at You can also access paper applications from DPI's Forms webpage here. Although paper applications are made available, DPI strongly encourages parents to submit their applications online. Please call the Registration Office if you need assistance or the use of a computer to complete the online application. The Open Enrollment application process is an option, however, not a guarantee for placement due to limited spaces. 

Please contact the VASD Registration Office at or (608) 845-4360, if you have any questions regarding the open enrollment application process. Click HERE to find answers to frequently asked questions about VASD open enrollment.
VASD Open Enrollment.  

2021-22 Open Enrollment Information

For 2021-22, enrollment is projected to be at capacity for certain grade levels. Wait-lists will be maintained by VASD for all grade levels. The Verona Area School District maintains a waiting list up to five(5) business days before the start of school.For the following grade levels, space is available as indicated below, thus wait-lists will be created if application demand exceeds open seats.

                                                                             Grade Level       *Space Available 2021-22
   KG     15
   1st      5
   2nd      8
   3rd      8
   4th      5
   5th      8
   6th      15
   7th      7
   8th      7
   9th      10
   10th      5
   11th      5
   12th      6

*2021-22, there is NO
 Open Enrollment space available for non-residents district wide for 4K, or Speech/Language, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Deaf/Hard of Hearing.

Notice to Current VASD residents - Open Enrollment does not mean changing schools within the Verona Area School District

2021-22 Open Enrollment Parent Brochures:English Espanol  Hmong
Click here -- Information for Home Buyers, Renters, and Realtors

Part-time Open Enrollment

(For High School grade levels only)

Beginning in the 2018-19 school year, a pupil enrolled in a public school in the high school grades may attend public school in a nonresident school district for the purpose of taking a course offered by the nonresident school district. Application materials and more information can be found at DPI's Part-time Open Enrollment website.

Tuition Waiver Due to Move

If a pupil moves from one school district to another school district, the pupil’s resident school district changes as a result. In most cases, the pupil enrolls and attends school in the new resident school district. However, often the pupil wishes continue to attend the former school district. The pupil may do so under either a “tuition waiver due to a move” or public school open enrollment or both.

For example, for a child who moves from District A to District B in October, a tuition waiver guarantees that the child may continue to attend District A for the remainder of that school year. However, the child may only continue to attend District A in future years if the pupil applies and is approved for open enrollment in District A.

In some cases, the pupil may move from District A to District B and wants to attend school in District C. In this case, the pupil is not eligible for a tuition waiver and must apply for open enrollment. The pupil may either apply during the annual February-April application period in anticipation of the move or may apply at the time of the move using the alternative application procedure.

Request for Tuition Waiver Due to Move Applications
2020 -21 School Year 

For more information, contact
Toll-Free: 888-245-2732

DPI Senior Rule

If a pupil has attained senior status while a resident of a school district, the pupil may complete the senior year in that school district, even if the pupil is no longer a resident of that district.

Each school board determines whether a pupil has attained senior status. Where there is no policy, many school boards consider the pupil to have attained senior status upon completion of the junior year.

Once a pupil has attained senior status, the pupil may continue to attend the school district until the pupil graduates or until the end of the school term in which the pupil turns 21.

VASD Senior Rule Policy 420-Rule(1) 

a. Any senior student who attains senior status while a resident of the District and then moves out of the District is eligible to complete his/her senior year in the District without payment of tuition. In this situation, the student simply must inform the school office of their move out of the District and their intent to continue their senior year in the District.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Manitowoc Public School District