Mckinney-Vento - Homeless Services - Families in Transition
Verona Area School District's Families In Transition (FIT) program provides assistance to students living in temporary housing. It is a federally funded program that assists families with school-aged children to overcome barriers to full participation in the public educations system, including identification, enrollment and referral services.
If your family lives in any of the following situations:
- In a emergency, transitional, or domestic violence shelters
- A motel or campground due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations
- In a car, park, abandoned building, bus or train station
- Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
- Unaccompanied homeless youth: child or youth who meets the McKinney-Vento definition and is not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian
- Migratory children who are living in circumstances described above
Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
Your child may be eligible to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.
- If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children's needs.
If you believe your child(ren) may be eligible or you know of a VASD student who may be in transition, please contact:
Amanda Sedlacek, MSW, APSW
FIT (Families In Transition) Social Worker
Phone: (608) 400-1129
Family Assistance Donations
Interested in helping Verona Area School District families in need? Please consider donating to the VASD Family Assistance Fund. Your generosity will help our students be more successful at school, improve graduation rates, and help struggling families meet their basic needs. The VASD social workers use these funds to help cover school-related expenses such as field trip fees, class and sports fees, school supplies, and bus passes/cab fares for parents/guardians to attend meetings. They are on occasion used to supply families with basic hygiene supplies and clothing. Your support allows our students to feel like they are an active member of our VASD community by allowing them to fully participate in classes and special activities.