The Global Academy
Partnering for Change, Challenge and Success
Prelude: A consortium of school districts including: Belleville, Middelton Cross Plains, Mt. Horeb, Oregon, McFarland, Verona Area, Madison and Wisconsin Heights are actively and energetically seeking partnerships with business, academic and manufacturing sectors in the Dane County region in an effort to create and staff what is referred to as The Global Academy. The Global Academy will be a hybrid secondary / post-secondary learning environment designed primarily for high school juniors and seniors from the consortium districts. The Global Academy will provide specialized and advanced training in the following areas that culminate in two year or four year degrees:
- Architecture and Construction
- Health Science
- Information Technology
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
Rationale: Regional, national and global need for specialized and advanced skills, along with growing competition for jobs that require those skills from advanced and developing countries is changing the curriculum landscape for high schools in the United States. In Wisconsin, public high schools are making valiant efforts to respond to this need, but struggle to do so given revenue caps and shrinking budgets. Neighboring school districts produce similar programs that are barely sustainable and represent an inefficient duplication of programs and services. A consortium of school districts providing specialized and advanced programs, pooling resources, talent and students is a much more viable and sustainable method of providing educational programs that prepare students for 21st Century career opportunities. Additionally, partnering with business, manufacturing and academic sectors will add expertise, latest trend information and greatly increased opportunities for obtaining certifications, advanced standing and credits in institutions of higher learning.
What: These school districts have formed a consortium to accomplish the following:
- Create course offerings and a program of studies for specialized and advanced training in the four identified career clusters or areas.
- Create a facility to offer specialized programs and advanced training within these career clusters.
- Partner with business, academic and manufacturing sectors to supply expertise in specific content areas, materials, staff development, staffing, apprenticeships and career placement.
- Pursue flexible instructional delivery models that may be offered in the Global Academy facility, in business/manufacturing settings, or other electronic/dynamic environments.
When: The consortium will establish a location for The Global Academy and have in place a program of studies and course offerings in at least one of the career clusters by September 1, 2010.
Where: This facility will be located within the Verona Area School District boundaries, central to the participating school districts.
Our vision: Partnering for change, challenge and success